Thursday, December 15, 2011

Haiti, Day 3

Our First Meeting - Mama's overjoyed!

Day 2 - One of his first smiles on camera!

Day 3 - Happiness with balloons, balls and friends!

He woke up with the sun today. He was quiet but not rigid. I sang as I organized some toys and things lying around the room. I knew that a nanny was coming to watch his friends when the parents went to their embassy appointments so I threw on clothes, got him dressed and headed to breakfast looking sloppy. We met the friends down in the restaurant since moms & dads were on an early out schedule. It was hilarious to watch Wenkie (5 1/2) feed Christopher who would then come to our table (next to theirs), grab something from my plate and take it to him. Wenkie loved my ham and Christopher wanted his friend's french toast so they exchanged! As moms, our emotions were heightened and there were a couple of teary moments watching them eat their final breakfast with us for this trip.

When the nanny came, I was worried that Christopher would have nothing to do with me so I prepared myself to shower, blog and read while he as in her lap all day or at least ignore me. He wanted to kick around that ball with me, he wanted me to blow up his balloons and he wanted to share his stickers. There were the occasional sitting in her lap, but when I saw that it was getting later, I asked if he wanted to come upstairs with me and he immediately put out his arms for me to carry him. We spent almost an hour in the room eating, getting cleaned up, and singing. Then when it was time to go downstairs, I did something that upset him (don't ask me what but he scowled and let me know that I was the source of his anger). I finally picked him up despite the possibility of screams and walked him downstairs. There was no screaming but he pushed away from me as I put him down and he ran to pout. Thank God that Patrick was around. He went and spoke to him, then got to hold him and carry him up to the restaurant for a little lunch. I realized at lunch that he was probably upset because he was watching me put his clothes in a bag. He's no dummy. He wasn't quite ready to leave.

We rented a van to go to the orphanage so 7 adults, 3 kids and a driver dodged down the 1 road into Croix des Bouquets. I got some great pictures of tap-taps (taxis unlike anything you've every seen that hold MANY people), people carrying more on their heads than seems natural, trash, a cemetery, tent cities, pantless children, school kids in uniforms and more people. Watching everything cut the drive to short, I thought. I don't know how he did it, but Christopher actually fell asleep in the van! The roads are not smooth. You literally need to keep your teeth together so there's no fear of biting your tongue on the horible bumps; not to mention the near death collisions as people come at you head-on in your lane as though you aren't there. When we got to Lifeline, he was awake and snuggled tighter. I let him down and grabbed the stickers out of my bag. I brought a few hundred stickers. I got mauled by all the children demanding I give them stickers. There were hands and bodies pressing in from all sides. I ended up getting the kids in trouble as the nannies yelled at them to move along. I handed about half of the stickers to Nicole and she says to me, "You made the bed you are lying in." We had a good chuckle as she put the stickers in her office. Christopher separated from me when it was time to eat their lunch. He got through half his bowl of rice and broth by the time the others finished their bowls. He was still pretty full from being able to eat at every hour of the day. Typically, these kids leave not a single morsel or rice piece in their bowls. I took pictures of the sweet little ones 5 & under for their mothers and for CCAI files (if I haven't connected with their moms). Facebook has been amazing in helping all the families connect and gather pictures for each other. We hugged their kids and talked to them about how much mamas love them :) The 4&5 year olds who have met their parents seem to brighten when we talked about their parents. Sweet!
One of the families that came down this trip got Crocs to donate 80 pairs of Crocs so we lined up the kids outside the door and they all came through one by one to pick new shoes from the room we werein. It was so sad when we ran out of large sizes for the teenagers. These Haitian teens had big feet:) Mama Nicole had about 25 pairs of average sizes left over that didn't fit anyone. Shoes for the littler ones to grow into.
The girls from ages 11-13 followed me everywhere. They wanted me to take their picture. They wanted to give me a tour and show me where to get good pictures of the scenery. They played with my hair and asked me many questions. Their English was broken but clear enough to communicate our sentiment back & forth. I got 2 of them singing on video. They totally reminded me of my girls and the hams they are! They loved the photo book of Christopher's new family and can't wait to meet the girls. They all picked one of my girls, called them their friends and told me to tell my girls they said "'lo". It was so sweet. 2 of them warmed my heart so much that I had to resist coming home & trying to convince Ellie she would love older sisters. They are 11 & 12 years old without families waiting for them. That breaks my heart.
Mama Nicole gave an official tour and talked to us about how God is meeting needs and where they have more needs. At the end of our tour, we ended up at their garden that was filled with papaya trees, plantain trees and vegetables. They have a pig, turkey and chickens. There are a couple of small dogs on the grounds and the older children learn to take care of it all.
Nicole sent the other kids away and then we sat in a circle. She thanked us for loving Haiti and for caring for the children. She went on to say that she is encouraged to know they will be loved, will get an education and will grow up knowing & loving Jesus. She was so sincere as she spoke. I know that God will give him peace during this brief time apart. Then she spoke to each of our boys about our leaving and our returning for them. The moms were in tears. The 2 older boys looked sullen as they understood but didn't like it. Christopher took it in but it didn't seem to sink in. We hugged and kissed our boys. I told Christopher, "manman renmen ou. Christopher renmen manman?" (mama loves you. Christopher loves mama?) He nodded his head yes. I melted. She took them into the kitchen building and started reading them a book to distract them. I looked back and Christopher was standing with the 10 children waving good-bye. He looks to sad and confused. I waved just in case he could see me. Heart wrenching. The car ride home seemed longer. We got home right as darkess hit the town. We had 20 minutes to clean up before the lawyer Sarah was to come for dinner. Sarah didn't end up coming, but dinner was encouraging. The families with kids at Maison - their kids went back, too, so it was only adults with Haitian rum and huge plates of food. The conversation was good. After dinner, we went by the pool and talked more. It wasn't as lonely knowing we were all in the same emotional state. I finally went to my room to pack and felt peace. He is loved. Mama Nicole and her staff love those children. He will be home as soon as possible but until then, God is with him.
I am on my way home tomorrow with a better understanding of how to pray and precious pictures to place in his story book. He is loved and God chose him for our family. Love can be hard and what a deeper picture of God my Father's love for me. When we invite Jesus into our lives, we can rest in the assurance that God wants us, forgives us and can't wait to lavish His love on us for eternity when we accept God as our Father and Jesus as our Savior.
Please pray:
Tracy's been sick while he's been in Texas (healing)
Christopher's adjustment back to the orphanage (his tummy didn't like the food change)
My girls (need special attention and love when I get home)
Balance (I have to go back to work as soon as I get home - literally)
Christmas travels (we leave on the 20th for Christmas with Tracy's family)
If you'd like to see pictures and aren't a FB friend, leave a comment or email me and I will send you a link to an album I will have posted.

4 comments:

  1. Christy, I have loved following you on your journey! I can't imagine having to leave sweet Christopher behind, but you're right: God is with him. He will be so glad to read about all of this someday, and see how much you've loved him from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy,
    So glad to hear about this journey for your family. I will you keep you all in my prayers and cannot wait until the day I get to meet our new little cousin in person. Love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had an amazing time! I would love to see your photos!!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate are you on Facebook? I have lots there. I will be posting a few here soon, too. Internet was a luxury in Haiti and it took a while to load pics. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete