Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Haiti, Day 2

Through the night he was amazing. Exhausted from all the stimulation and food and a little later bedtime than he's used to, he fell asleep very quickly. I awoke to hear him in the bathroom peeing. I got up and led him back to bed without a peep and he fell back asleep. In the morning, he looked a little shell shocked so I got up and gave him a cliff bar. I don't know if it was the start of his digestion kicking into yucksville or if the newness finally all hit him (I know it was the above and more) but no amount of bribing, sweet talk or silliness would bring him out of staring, then scoweling then screaming as I went to touch him. I was lucky enough to have a room with windows that faced the open restaurant so as soon as a friend was there I told him in my horrible Creole that we would go see his friend. Howling, he writhed and went limp. Nothing was to console him, so mama and son both went back up to the room in tears. Even the groundsman was sympathetic. He took him from me and tried to whisper in his ear and sway him to calm, but he was beyond himself. He and I cried together for about 10 minutes and after I got over it and decided we were going to solve this, both his friends and their moms entered the room. The boys talked (rather loudly over Christopher crying) as I went to my arsenal of balloons and stickers. The boys gave him bread, raisins and 2 bigger than Christopher balloons. He calmed down, ate his raisins and when asked if he wanted to go "mange", he nodded and came with me to breakfast. By the end of breakfast (which seemed to take forever) he was running around trying to hit his little friend with his big balloons. Night and Day. As those of you who adopted and have told me, this may be life for a while. His age and his utter confusion lends itself to "on and off" true survival skills. He doesn't want to put himself out there to get hurt. Even at 3 he's self-protecting and that's heartbreaking.

The day as the pictures indicate was for the most part joyful. He loves that his friends are here. It's a big party. It was a day off for us all so there was no where to be. He loved dipping his feet in the pool, running around with the boys and eating. I don't think I could win an eating contest with this kid. I'm dumbfounded as to how much he packed away. From what the other parents said diarrhea was on its way and sure enough by day's end the different food finally effected him enough. Poor little guy would hold it and hold it. It as soon as he sat down...You get the picture!
He and I napped and that was sweet. I freaked out slightly at the prospect of his waking fro the nap and tensing up, but Patrick had come to check on how the day went and Jean Benito came in at the same time so I asked his friend to wake him for dinner. That was smooth and so helpful.
He was a title more awake on Skype with daddy and then the girls. I think there's a little recognition. He has our photo book and laminated picture so I am hoping when he sees everyone in person, it will be smooth.
I liken Christopher to a cat. He doesn't want to show you that he wants love and affection but he sure does stay close just in case you decide to pursue him! I love that little smile and his giggle is so sweet. I took many pictures and of course I wonder why I didn't take more. Mainly, because he was in my lap soooo much and I got tired of snapping close-ups of me, honestly.
I went and bought more art and jewelry today. Maxo is the seller who I have befriended. He gave me his email and showed me his family pictures. He gives me the biggest smile and biggest hugs and tells me I make him very happy each time he sees me because I am a blessing! I thought at first it was too much and that he would make a great car salesman but he paints and makes the jewelry and prays for people that bought from him that day is what we talked about. Whether it's a line or not, I still bought from him because he seems to have a big heart and a love for what he does. Isn't that what we want to see in this world? People following their passion to give God glory when they are blessed? That's Maxo. Pray for him, his wife and his 7 year old son.
I fear I have left out parts and I am sad that I couldn't write before day 3 happened. Christopher didn't want to fall asleep so we laid and stared at each other and I sang to him until he fell asleep after 9pm. He stayed in bed all night long. At one point he woke up and just stared until he fell back to sleep. That's better than a few of the families that had criers in the night.
God definitely picked the right personality for our family. He's an amazing addition to the Hires team and I'm so thrilled to be Christopher's manman!

No comments:

Post a Comment