Friday, May 4, 2012

Ugghh...

Bedtime was good. He slept through the night. We had the AC and fan on which made the room very cool and he slept through with no problems. I can't tell if he remembers overeating but he certainly doesn't stuff himself on snacks like our December trip. He was so distracted at breakfast that I don't think he ate more than half a piece of toast. He likes coffee though! All the friends that are there are venturing further away from their parents and they played together in the morning. I found him in Wenkie's room and when we left he pointed to the pool. He never showed interest before so I left him get in clothes and all. I didn't have my suit on so another mom held him until Tracy came and got in with him. He didn't understand why I didn't get in so he got quiet and wanted out. He cuddled with me for a while in the courtyard and when I asked if he wanted to get changed he nodded. We had already packed his clothes in the bag from the orphanage. When I went to grab clothes from the bag and dressed him, it started another fit of anger and wailing for almost 45 minutes after he stripped his clothes off. Poor little man! These kids are so smart. Many parents said their kids knew they were going home and were sullen.  We went as a family to market for cokes and souvenirs. He wanted a "machine" (a 4-wheeler toy) and of course I obliged. It was fun to be together 1 last time before 10 families piled into 2 vans and began our trek back to their home. Nicole and her ladies fixed us an amazing lunch of chicken, spicy cheesy potatoes, avocado, beets & carrots, fried plantains, rice & beans and cake for dessert. The kids were in their element and many of them looked so happy to be home, although they were never far from their parents. Our girls got whisked away after lunch to the school rooms. I wish I had gotten a picture. They got their hair braided (I got that picture) and they received notes from their friends. I told the girls, it is their chance to have true pen pals. I traded Crocs with Miliane who had too small of shoes on her feet.  We got to talk one-on-one with Nicole and ask her the questions about Christopher. She asked how Christopher did while at the hotel, and we shared about the hard times. She talked to us about how he needed us, a special family, to show him that we will never leave him like his mother did. Patrick said she didn't ask the other families how their kids did at the hotel, showing us that she knows he has special emotional needs.  All the families got together and Nicole thanked us and told us she needs our prayers more than our money. She said adopting her children is very hard for her, but God called her to this ministry and she wants her children above all to know and love the Lord and serve Him. She left her children and many of the nannies have "orphaned" their children in order to love ours. It was a tearful and beautiful goodbye. Christopher and I walked up to his bedroom on the 2nd floor of the dorms and gave his room mama a present, hugged her and gave her a tearful thank you. He wouldn't stay with her. I took him back down and handed him to Nicole. I didn't see him again. Dinner was quiet. It started downpouring after dinner. It fit. Packing was quiet. The girls were sad. They were tired. We are all struggling with emotions. It will feel good to be home and start a routine again. This trip will never be forgotten. It made a huge impression on us all.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Christy. Feeling for you right now. I am so glad you had such bonding time with Christopher but I know how heartbreaking it is to leave.

    Will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete